In recent years, the State’s demand for STEAM education and workforce development in manufacturing, fabrication, and innovative technology has increased significantly, creating a critical need for Vermont schools and educators to provide curriculum, tools, and technical support to foster career and college ready students.
With support from Senator Leahy’s office, the USDoE provided funds for Generator to build out five makerspaces in five schools across the state. This three-year program is designed to support selected schools to develop, implement, and sustain makerspace programs for their local learning communities in order to meet the following goals:
- Increase access to education in manufacturing, prototyping, fabrication, innovative technology, design-thinking, early-stage entrepreneurship, and workplace safety for rural Vermont middle and high schools
- Increase professional development training and support for Vermont educators in advanced technologies and manufacturing
- Build pathways to post-secondary employment, training, and education for high school graduates by exposing them to career paths in emerging technologies, technical training, and connections to employers and local networks essential for advancement
- Provide greater access for rural communities to high-paying jobs in technical fields
Train-the-Teacher: MakerSpace Tool Trainings
As part of Generator’s MakerSchool Program we now offer Train-the-Teacher: MakerSpace Tool Trainings, professional development courses that address safety and maintenance, curriculum integration, and lesson planning related to utilizing makerspace tools in the classroom. Trainings include: Laser Cutter; 3D Printer; Vinyl Cutter; Sewing; and Electronics. This learning series will be offered every Fall, Winter, and Spring to ensure our MakerSchool partners receive the necessary training to build out, sustain, and enhance STEAM learning through maker education. Each training has 12 spots that will first be made available to educators at MakerSchools, and then opened up to Vermont educators as space allows.
Our VT MakerSchools
- Bellows Falls Union High School
- Harwood Union Middle High School
- Hazen Union School
- Main Street Middle School
- White River Valley Middle School
- Williston Central School