Want to empower the next generation of makers, artists, and entrepreneurs through building relationships and leading our team?
We’re hiring for our Executive Director!
See below for the full description of the position.
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
STATUS: Full Time, Benefits Eligible (salary range: $70,000 – $75,000)
WHAT IS GENERATOR? Generator is a combination of business incubator, artist studio and classroom at the intersection of art, science, and technology. We provide the tools, expertise, education, and opportunity to enable all members of our community to create, collaborate, and bring ideas to fruition. Generator has over 400 maker-members and our programs engage over 2000 individuals per year in Burlington, Chittenden County and beyond.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR? The Executive Director has strategic and operational responsibility for Generator’s staff, programs, budget and execution of its mission. Our ideal candidate believes in empowerment through collaborative, hands-on, experiential learning and has the ability to lead a team so our community can bring their visions to life.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION?
- Work with board members to develop, evolve and operationalize Generator’s mission and vision.
- Develop an annual budget in collaboration with the board finance committee, effectively manage the budget and provide board members with monthly budget status reports.
- Lead, engage, coach, develop, and retain Generator’s high performing staff.
- Work with staff to develop and expand earned income revenue streams including membership, studio rentals, class and events to maintain self-sustaining operations.
- Work with staff to develop and execute marketing strategies to raise brand awareness and support earned revenue strategies and community outreach programming.
- Work with staff and the board development committee to develop and secure fundraising to achieve a balanced budget via donor solicitations, grant writing, and corporate sponsorships.
- Work with staff to develop and execute educational strategy including tool certifications, skill building class, workshops and children’s camps.
- Work with staff and non-profit partner organizations to develop community outreach programming, including entrepreneurship and STEM education, workforce development and art/technology events.
- Develop member and volunteer celebrations and events, maker in residence, and art exhibits.
- Represent Generator in local and statewide entrepreneurship, maker, STEAM education projects and organizations.
- Other duties as may be required or requested.
WHAT ARE THE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT WOULD HELP SOMEONE SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE?
- 5 plus years’ experience as executive director of a small community focused non-profit or equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Leadership skills with the ability to coach, manage, develop, align and inspire high-performance teams.
- Operational and management skills with the ability to manage budgets, manage projects and achieve fundraising and programmatic goals.
- Strategic thinking skills with the ability to turn a vision into a reality.
- Passion for the integration of art, science, technology, entrepreneurship, and the creative process.
- Persuasive and passionate communicator with demonstrated collaboration skills.
- Leading by example and fostering an inclusive environment that thrives by bringing together diverse perspectives.
- These skills are normally acquired with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective and thought. Candidates across all markers of identify (age, race, gender, ability, communication styles, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.