User Tools

Site Tools


february_12_2018

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Last revision Both sides next revision
february_12_2018 [2018/01/21 08:58]
usrbingeek
february_12_2018 [2018/07/02 07:02]
jean_cherouny
Line 1: Line 1:
 +July 9th Member Meeting- Please feel free to contact if you want to add agenda spesifics.
  
 +5:00 Food in Great Hall  Please Suggest or request to Steve Mermelstein or Jean Cherouny. We'll figure it out.
  
-**February 12th 2018 Members Meeting**+5:30 Call to Order by Jake Blend. ​ Minutes Recorded if Karen Freeman can join.  We will get it done.
  
-**5:00 PM** Pizza and BYB in Community Hall+5:35 Approve Minutes From June 11th Meeting
  
-**5:30 PM** Meeting Call to Order and Attendance in Generator Learning Lab+5:40 Member or Member Guest Introduction
  
-**5:30 PM** Approve Minutes (see below)+5:55 New Business
  
-**5:35 PM **Introductions+Nominate Member Representatives to the 2018-19 Board. ​ Three Spots are available. People will have a few minutes to share their interest and hopes then we will vote.
  
-**5:40 PM** Directors Report- Chris Thompson+Announcements
  
-**5:50 PM** Board Representative and Board Announcements+6:15 Old Business
  
-**6:00 PM** Member Announcements and community Agenda Items ( One per meeting. Let Jean or Jake know by Jan 30th so that we can help lay out a valuable community discussion and vote)+Adjourn
  
-**6:15 PM** Proposals to Vote or Share for feedback+**Generator Members Meeting  ​**
  
-**6:30 PM** Updates on Projects\\ +**Minutes June 11th, 2018**
-Jake Blend+
  
-**6:45 PM** Adjourn+**Meeting FacilitatorJake Blend**
  
-**6:45 PM** There will be a harassment training immediately following our meeting in the Learning Lab. Staff, Board Members and Reps and members are encouraged to attend.+**In attendanceJake Blend, Steve Mermelstein,​ Karen Freeman, Jon Weisbecker, Ezra Ranz Schleifer, Jean Cherouny, Gary Shores, Leif Hunneman, Lucie de la Bruere, Craig Lyndes, Linda Beal, Jonathan Landell, Sarah Sprague, Beth Robinson, Alex Constantino,​ John Cohn, Alex Hahl, Tim Woos, Jody Brown, AJ Rossman, Seth Rossman, Mark Sherwin, Elliott Katz, Daryl Stutz, Ross Zipper, Kyle Werner, Jim Shields, Leif Hunneman**
  
-\\ +**WelcomeJake Blend called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm. Karen Freeman is taking minutes.**
-**Approve Generator Members Meeting January 8th, 2018 Minutes:**+
  
-Meeting FacilitatorJean Cherouny+**Minutes from May 14, 2018Jenni Bower had taken minutes (thanks Jenni!) but since there were not copies available at the meeting, members agreed to review and approve the minutes from May and June at the July meeting. ​ The May minutes will be posted again, along with the June minutes, prior to the next meeting on the Generator wiki page. ([[:​may_14_2018|LINK]])**
  
-In attendanceJean Cherouny, ​Jake BlendChris ThompsonSteve MermelsteinGrey Barreda Jody BrownJon LandellCameron JonasThomas WatersAlex ConstantinoDan HarveyLydia KernDaryl StultzJim ShieldsKaren FreemanLeisa FearingSteve ConantDevin WilderDana BrownLucie deLaBruere+** Introductions and UpdatesAttendees introduced themselves and shared updates and information. ​Jake welcomed Elliotthe new Generator shop operations manager. He is a sculptororiginally from Cabothas created public art including the colorful metal/​fiberglass trees outside the Hilton Garden in Burlingtonand most recently was adjunct faculty in the sculpture department at the University of Hartford. Steve noted how well-organized the space has become since his arrival. ​ Elliot said that he wants to make the shop areas are lean and efficientand encouraged members to reach out to him with any ideas and/or concerns. AJ noted that equipment available to members through the work VEIC and Burlington Electric are doing that can measure and conceptualize energy spikesand could be useful in looking at energy loads. John C. asked about the status of the forgenoting the popularity of the forge classes. Elliott said that that he is working on plans for a safe outdoor work space that can also store tools and hopes to have that area running within the next 3 months. AJ mentioned the “Vermont IoT Conduit”a new Generator business member which aims to  be a living laboratory for IoT and AI. He also mentioned the citywide sensor network that will employ Long Range (LoRa) radio technology. The project sponsors are interested in finding out what the public wants to get from the initiative. John C. suggested that incorporating art and mischief into the sensor project could lead to something funbeautiful and unexpected. AJ invited the members to IoT Conduit’s upcoming July open house at 12 North Streetand he will post more info on the Generator wiki.  Steve noted that the 2018 Champlain Maker Faire will run for only one day (SaturdaySeptember 22) but will go into the evening and offer nighttime events and activities this year.  Maker booth and ChampBot registration have started for the event. There was interest in a Generator collective activity coming together for the Maker Faire. Steve mentioned that in addition to the ongoing photography meetup at the Generator on the 4th Tuesday of the month that a new meetup for beginners on the 3rd Tuesday is starting. Lucie let the group know that she will again be renting the Generator space this summer for the Create/​Make/​Learn class she is leading for 50 teachers week of July 23rd. And similar to last yearshe will offer a free workshop for Generator members to be held after 4pm during that week. Members who volunteer to help her some time during the week can take a class for free. She also encouraged members to join the teachers during the lunch time for “Meet the Makers”. Leif described the affordable modular synthesizer system he is building for under $300with similar commercial systems costing closer to $3,000. He plans to make his design available for public use. He has a working prototype and after he is done beta testingwill offer a class at the Generator. Jake reported that there are now 4 functional VR stations and there will be a dedicated spot in the learning lab for VR.  Policies pertaining to the VR usage will be finalized soon. The King Street afterschool program participated in a VR program at the Generator recentlyand Dealer rented the equipment for an event. He mentioned that there are two new laser bed guidesa new lens and a backup lens. There will also be a multi-material upgrade kit coming for the laser that will handle up to 5 materials. He hopes a second laser cutter can be acquired after the upgrade is added. Scheduling for the laser was discussed, and people need to be reminded that there is an existing policy that users need to reserve the laser and 3d printer on the Google calendar.**
  
-WelcomeJean Cherouny called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm. Karen Freeman is taking minutes.+**Directors ReportChris out of town this week, no report this month.**
  
-The first order of business ​was a robust discussion on what constitutes a quorum for votes to be taken as part of the agenda ​at regular monthly Members Meeting. Jean noted that historically,​ 10% of the number of Generator members has been considered a quorum. This can be a challenge with overall numbers fluctuating throughout the year and meetings sometimes left without a quorum. Dan pointed out that this body does not have bylaws so is not limited in defining a quorum. A range of ideas were generated from the group on defining both what constitutes a quorum and a majority for actions to carry. Steve Mmade a motion, seconded by Daryl that a quorum for voting on motions consists of those members in attendance, and that motions ​are approved/​denied with a majority of those voting at the meeting. There was additional discussion about the impact on fairness ​and transparency of having a quorum defined by those in attendance. Alex suggested a friendly amendment ​to the motion in an effort to address these concerns, which was accepted by Steve M. and Daryl. Steve M. also noted the narrow scope of items that get voted on at the meeting, i.e. member proposals not policy. Jody called the question to end debate, seconded by Alex, and the vote was called on the amended motion:+**Board and Board Representatives:​ Board member John Cohn was at the meeting JakeJean and Ben are the Member Representatives to the Generator Board and members are encouraged ​to contact them about any Generator related ​items.**
  
-A quorum for voting on motions at regular monthly member meetings (notice of which is posted 7 days in advance on the members Google Calendar) consists of those members ​in attendance, with motions carried by a majority of those voting at the meeting.\\ +**Educator ​in Residence: Lydia and Jenny have finished their residencies,​ Julia and Leif are the incoming Educators-in-Residence.**
-The motion carried, with Leisa voting “no”, and there were no abstentions.+
  
-Minutes from December 92017 – A minor correction was made to the minutes ​to reflect a brief overlap between Devin and Lydia as Artists-in-Residence. Steve M. made motionseconded by Jody, to approve ​the minutes as revised. All voted in favor and the motion carried.\\ +**Member Build Proposals: Jim gave an update on the Precious Plastics projectreporting that with the most recent $300 the members approved for this initiative the students were able to rebuild the injector barrel ​and the unit now has functional injector. He thanked the members for the fundingexpressed his appreciation for the member expertise ​and temporary storage ​made available at the Generator and said that the students have learned a great deal **
-Introductions were made by those in attendance.+
  
-Directors Report - Chris reported on financials for the first half of the fiscal year, and was pleased that revenues ​($232,000) and expenses ($225,000were on track with budget projectionsCash in the bank is $112,000, equating ​to 3 months operationshe is shooting for having reserves ​of 6 months as a good target.+**Jake summarized ​the intent and process ​of member builds ​and funding ​(has been $1,000/month set aside in Generator budgetcoming from member dues). Members can propose projects that will promote member collaboration and result ​in creating something of benefit to the Generator community. There is $1,000 left in the budget for this fiscal year ending July 1and while a number of possible projects were mentioned at the meeting (including an Art Hop collaborative build) none had gone through the formal process. ​ Following discussion on ways to encourage more member proposals and make the process clearer and easier ​to accessthe group agreed to table any action on the remaining funds. Jake and John C. assured the group that not spending the last $1,000 in the current fiscal year does not show lack of interest in this opportunity to continue next fiscal year. John C. and Jake agreed to bring this topic up at the Generator board meeting the following night**
  
-He noted that long-term sustainability is a main goal. Looking to increase ​the member contribution to be closer to covering 60% of the real costscloser to 40%. Want diversified stream ​of dozen or so earned income sources (individual and group memberships,​ classes, training, renting out the space, etc.), this is vital because can’t count on getting large grants ​and donations. He mentioned a big grant that Generator seemed highly likely ​to get and didn’t happen, he was disappointed and it meant that a second laser couldn'​t be purchased.+**Member Communication:​ A better communication tool than the current google group form was discussedwith Discord mentioned by number ​of members as a better alternativeGary S and Kyle W volunteered ​to pursue this topic with Chris and Beth.**
  
-The JumpStart entrepreneurial program starts this week, strong pool of 26 applicants, chosen by judges without affiliations known and 3 of the 4 (Jake, Courtney and Clay) are Generator members; Christian Hill from Old Spokes Home is the fourth member of the cohort. The program will be offered again this summer.40 people are registered ​to attend the first free, public lecture series offered as part of the program. Will also be shown on RETN cable media. +**Adjourn Motion ​to adjourn ​approved and meeting ​adjourned ​at 7:00.**
- +
-The Generator will start opening an hour later, with winter hours 10-6 as there is little to no activity during that first 9-10am hour. Will go back to 9-9 in the spring. The electronics lab will begin to offer 1-hour low cost certification classes, will cost $10 until April 1st, and then go up to $15 for the class. Clarification on the Generator’s insurance policy means that youth under 18 years are not precluded from using the tools under the policy, so a supervised Teen Thursdays program targeted at 14-18 year olds will be starting. They need to be members, hopefully will encourage adult and teen participation in families with memberships to get more involved. +
- +
-Alex mentioned that some studios are being used to mostly store materials and wondered if there is a plan to expand storage. Chris thought that it was time to look again at putting shipping containers out back for storage. +
- +
-Proposals – Jake pitched a proposal for “Tetrice” an interactive ice-block wall with LED lights that will be Arduino powered and Bluetooth-enabled. Would be constructed from 12”x12” ice blocks (molded from freezing water in plastic that is inside cardboard forms) and waterproof LED light strips, run by the “Gladiator” program. Priority 12×12 US postal boxes are the right size and he welcomes donations of boxes. Would be visibly placed out in front of the Generator and enable people to use their phones to play Tetris, Break Out, stream videos, project images, etc. Goal is to have operational by the Winter Fest and First Friday. Jake requested $250, consisting of $200 for the lights and $50 from the programmable unit and power source. Steve M. made a motion, seconded by Lucie, to approve the request. Members ​approved ​unanimously to approve. +
- +
-Proposal Updates - Jim gave an update on Precious Plastics: the shredder is working great and he offered to demo at the next meeting. Still working on the temperature regulator for the injector. Between the $700 from the Generator and $700 from CSWD the project has all the funding needed. +
- +
-Board and Board Representative – Dan and Steve were recognized; Jean mentioned that there is a board meeting tomorrow and encouraged members to contact her or Jake about any board related items. +
- +
-Announcements – Leisa said she is working on an opened sourced human-sized robot and is looking for help, particularly in costing the 3-D printing. The link for the open source group build: [[http://​inmoov.fr/​build-yours/​|http://​inmoov.fr/​build-yours/​]] Karen reported that the Somali sewing training initiative with the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity will start the end of January; she put a call out for sewing machines donations (or low cost) for use in the program. Lucie wants to get the 3-D printed 3-D printer project back on-line and could use some help. It has been a great way to get the education community involved at the Generator and time to re-engage them. Jon Landell reported that he worked successfully with a patent agent and submitted a patent application for his low-cost flutes. +
- +
-Artist-In-Residence – Devin thanked the group for having the opportunity and talked about her work on DIY improvement modifications to modern prosthetics. She pointed out that since doctors and engineers do not use the devices themselves it is hard for them to troubleshoot and make improvements. She referenced Disability Studies, an emerging field that looks at disabilities in terms of social, cultural and political phenomena versus a medical view. She has been working on using 3-D printing and clay modeling to develop a cover (think cell-phone case) for her hearing aid to improve the functionality. Member ideas included using TPU plastic (the new Generator printer will be able to accommodate),​ using a large model as an educational tool, a simulator that enables people to experience a hearing disability, creating a CAD 3-D model from a hearing aid so can more accurately replicate. +
- +
-Lydia, the incoming artist, shared slides and examples of her art which includes creating sculptures and installations by placing common found objects (bones, thread, screen doors, etc) and materials in a new context. +
- +
-Adjourn Motion to adjourn made by Steve M., seconded by Jody. Vote passed to adjourn ​at 7:00\\ +
-.+
  
  
february_12_2018.txt · Last modified: 2018/07/02 08:31 by jake_blend