Maker in Residence Program
Fostering creativity through collaboration
Generator offers its competitive Maker in Residence program to artists, designers and entrepreneurs to help advance and realize innovative new ideas.
Makers in Residence receive a studio, stipend and access to Generator’s 8,000+ square foot co-working/fabrication space in the heart of Burlington, Vermont’s South End Arts District. Generator awards six Maker in Residence opportunities per year through a rolling application process.
Provided by Generator:
- Makers in Residence receive 2 months free membership valued at $90/month.
- Makers in Residence receive a semi-private 8’x8′ studio for 2 months.
- Makers in Residence receive a $700 stipend to use towards educational opportunities at Generator and/or materials.
- Following the appropriate safety trainings, Makers in Residence have 77 hour/week access to fully equipt metal, wood, jewelry, micro-electronics and rapid-prototyping facilities.
- Makers in Residence have access to a 300+ member community consisting of engineers, developers, crafts professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Housing is not provided.
Expectations of Makers in Residence:
- Makers in Residence are expected to present a summary of their project to members following their residency period.
- Makers in Residence are expected to take the appropriate trainings a month in advance of their residency period.
- Makers in Residence are expected to use their stipends for educational opportunities at Generator and/or materials.
- Makers in Residence are expected to work independently.
- Makers in Residence are expected to work onsite as much as possible to realize their project and to build community at Generator.
Application and Selection:
- The online application requests potential Makers in Residence contact information, a project proposal (500 word maximum), 5 images of relevant past work, and a C.V with two professional references.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are reviewed quarterly.
- Applications from outside the Generator community are highly encouraged.
- Proposals are evaluated for their innovation, their use of Generator resources, their feasibility, and their potential for positive social impact.
Accepted applicants will receive notification of selection by email. Selected Makers in Residence will have 72 hours to accept the offer; afterward the offer will be extended to the runner up. The offer will include proposed residency dates.
If you have questions about the maker in residence program please email Elliott Katz.
The Makers in Residence program is generously underwritten by Physicians Computer Company of Winooski, Vermont.
Meet Edward Burke, Generator’s January/February 2017 Maker-in-Residence. It’s not hard to spot him whittling his stumpf fiddles in his studio…
Athena Kafantaris is a Burlington-based artist, performer and puppeteer currently working on massive, performer-operated dolls and puppets. She uses primarily…
September 8th from 6:30pm-9:00pm Sean Clute talk about the work he achieved during his time as Generator’s Maker-in-Residence. You will…