Be a Maker-in-Residence
Fostering creativity through collaboration
Every two months, Generator will provide a studio space and stipend to an artist, maker or designer with the goal of advancing ideas, projects and new products that demonstrate the power and potential of makerspaces.
Generator’s “makers in residence” program is a competitive, community-supported effort to brighten the light on unique creativity and incentivize members and non-members to advance their work in an important way. Makers in residence receive a $1000 stipend to support their work and are asked to provide two talks to the Generator community, one to introduce their work and the second to summarize their experience and share the result. Makers in residence are asked to contribute a work or documentation of their output to Generator at the end of their residency. Apply here.
Generator will recruit new “makers in residence” through our monthly social hours, online promotion and word of mouth networks.Social hours play an important role in recruitment as they provide an opportunity for informed and energetic gatherings around specific domains of inquiry at the intersection of art, science and technology. During each social hour Generator staff and volunteers promote the maker in residence program as an opportunity for networking and focused exploration around the theme at hand.The conversation will be extended online through social networks and in subsequent word of mouth conversations, member meeting and similar venues.
Application and Selection
The online application requests basic contact information, a description of work including photographs, a proposal for how they would use their residency, how well they respond to evaluation criteria, and a prefered timeframe. After that:
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and can come from within and outside of the Generator community.
- Applications will be reviewed between the 15th and the the 30th of each month.
- The review team is composed of staff and members.
- Proposals are evaluated for their relevance, innovation, feasibility and potential to engage the Generator community and the community at-large.
- The top applicant will receive notification of selection by email on the 1st of the month following their application entry.
- Successful applicants have 72 hours to accept the offer; afterward the offer will be extended to the runner up.
The term of a residency is two monthsResidencies run Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr, May/Jun, Jul/Aug, Sep/Oct, and Nov/DecPayments are made in two installments, $500 at the beginning and $500 at completion of residency.
Ready to apply?
The Generator in Residence program is generously underwritten by Physicians Computer Company of Winooski, Vermont.
Athena Kafantaris is a Burlington-based artist, performer and puppeteer currently working on massive, performer-operated dolls and puppets. She uses primarily…